Posted on : May 5, 2020 by Clinic One on Blog
FNAC stands for fine-needle aspiration cytology. This technique uses a fine hollow needle to collect samples from an organ or a tissue. The extracted cell samples are sent for testing as required by the doctor. This method is usually done to investigate the samples from the breasts, glands (thyroid gland), or any other parts of the body. This is a swift and safe procedure. To precisely detect and locate the cell samples, ultrasound is used. There is no need for cuts in the skin to remove the sample.
Why is FNAC done?
- Extracting and analyzing a fluid sample from the body.
- Detecting breast cancer.
- Analyze the changes in the composition of the cells after treatment.
- Analyzing breast cysts which are a fluid-filled sac present inside the breast.
- Analyze breast abscess which is a collection of pus in the breasts.
- Analyzing seromas which is a collection of fluid that builds up inside of the skin.
Who does an Ultrasound for FNAC?
Like any other ultrasound, only a certified radiologist can perform Ultrasound for FNAC. We have following radiologists available at Clinic One:
- Dr. Abhisesh Manandhar, MD
- Dr. Bishow Dangol
- Dr. Mukunda Shrestha
For appointment and inquiries, please call Clinic One at 9861966614 | 9863393960 or email us at [email protected]
What to expect during the FNAC scan?
- A local anesthetic is applied if the sample to be collected is located deep.
- A needle is inserted to the area under investigation and the sample is gently sucked using the plunger of the needle.
- Ultrasound is used if the samples are difficult to locate.
- This method usually takes up to 30 minutes.
- The extracted sample will be sent for further tests such as microscopy.
After the test is completed, the radiologist or the doctor will send the samples for further tests. Any additional test or screening may be required depending upon the result.
- Our Services
- Recent Blogs
- Balanced Weight
- Children Health
- Diseases in Nepal
- Emotional Support Hotline
- Flu Vaccines
- Full Body Checkup
- Heart Problems
- Immunity System
- Kidney Health
- Medical Certificates
- Melasma (पोतो /कालो दाग)
- Mental Health
- Ob Gyn
- Online Consultation
- OPD Departments
- Rabies FAQ
- Respiratory Diseases
- Sexual Health
- Vitamin D
- Women's Health